Yeah, you read that title right. 138 points.
The Thanksgiving Day feasting started early for Grinnell College, as the university watched their basketball team obliterate Faith Baptist Bible 179-104 and watched their superstar Jack Taylor score an NCAA-record 138 points, shooting 52-of-108 from the field and 27-71 from the 3-point range.
Rio Grande’s Bevo Francis set the previous record of 113 points in 1954. But that was no 138.
Now, I’m not going to get into the fact that there are some underlying issues present when a coach and a team allows one of their players to shoot this many times in one game. (71 3-point attempts… really?) This was an unnecessary offensive onslaught in a 75-point blowout.
What I would like to do is put this performance in perspective compared to NBA records (in which games last 48 minutes) and make clear just how dominate this kid was for 40 minutes of basketball.
- Kobe Bryant and Donyell Marshall hold the record for most 3-pointers made in a game with 12. They would have needed 12 overtimes to make as many 3’s as Taylor did.
- Damon Stoudemire hold the record for most 3-point field goal attempts in a game with 21. To hoist up as many shots as Taylor, Stoudemire would have needed 33 overtimes.
- The Boston Celtics and Phoenix Suns both hold the record for points scored in a regulation game with 173. Taylor would have accounted for 80 percent of these points.
- Wilt Chamberlain holds the NBA record for most points scored in a game with exactly 100. Four overtimes would have been necessary for Chamberlain to match Taylor’s scoring outburst.
- Chamberlain holds the NBA record for most field goals made in a game with 36. Chamberlain would have needed five overtimes to match Taylor’s numbers.
- Chamberlain holds the NBA record for most field goal attempts in a game with 63. Seven overtimes would have been required for Chamberlain to put up as many shots as Taylor did.
- Ray Allen made 269 3-pointers in the 2005-2006 season, which is the most in a single season. This one game gives Taylor 10 percent of Allen’s season total.
- George McCloud shot 678 3-pointers in the 1995-1996 season, which is the most 3-point field goal attempts in a single season. This one game gives Taylor 10 percent of McCloud’s season total.
Ignite the Site!